If you have someone who finds it really hard to stay asleep during the night then this is the best read for you. We are going to guide you on how to keep someone asleep throughout the night with very simple techniques.
This is important because as you well know by now sleep is very important to our health and wellbeing. Getting our brains and bodies to rest for a few hours is essential in ensuring that we remain healthy and we are productive in all the activities we undertake.
Most of the time when someone finds it difficult to fall asleep they may be suffering from insomnia which is a common type of sleeping disorder.
The following tips will guide you in helping this person stay asleep throughout the night:
- Ensure the bedroom is conducive for sleep by ensuring the lights are dim and there are no noises that could cause the person to wake up. You should also make sure that the furniture and room décor are not too distracting either by color or pattern.
- You should make sure that you establish a calming bedtime ritual that will help you relax and ready to fall asleep. You can choose to either take a relaxing cup of herbal, caffeine-free tea, take a warm relaxing bath or even listen to some relaxing soft music.
- Keep all the clocks in your room out of site as they are known to cause a lot of unnecessary anxiety and stress.
- Ensure that you exercise on a daily basis as this will help to give your body the boost of energy it requires during the day and thus make you tired enough to fall asleep faster at night.
- Avoid giving the individual caffeine or alcohol a few hours before going to bed as these two beverages will alter the person’s sleep pattern and thus make it harder for him/her to stay asleep throughout the night.
- Use the bed only for sleeping or for sex. This will help your brain to associate the bed with falling asleep and thus it will help the individual to fall asleep faster and stay asleep throughout the night.
- Ensure that the person you are helping does not take naps during the day no matter how sleepy they might feel. This will prevent them from losing sleep in the middle of the night and altering their sleep pattern.
- It is important to visit a medical professional to find out if there is any other medical condition that may be causing the person to lose sleep and make sure the condition gets treated. Getting rid of the underlying condition can help to treat insomnia.
- In the event that the individual wakes up in the middle of the night and he/she is not able to fall back asleep after 20 minutes, encourage them to get out of bed and go do a relaxing activity such as reading a book or listening to soft music until he/she feels sleepy again.
- Ensure that the person goes to bed at the same time every day and he/she wakes up at the same time on a daily basis so as to establish an effective sleep pattern for them in order to treat insomnia.
- Ensure that you get a comfortable mattress and pillows for your bed so that the person is comfortable when he/she is sleeping. You should also ensure that the temperature of the room is neither too cold nor too hot so as to ensure that their sleep is not disturbed.
- Ensure that the individual gets enough sunlight in the morning as this helps to naturally set his/her internal clock.
- More importantly, have a regular and predictable sleeping schedule so that your internal clock is aligned to it. Haphazard bedtime schedules are one of the main causes of sleeping problems.
Sleep problems can be quite stressful, so, it is good to help ourselves and those around us who have trouble sleeping, thus the need to know some of the ways to keep someone asleep.
This will be beneficial to us as well as we will also not get our sleep interrupted by their tossing and turning during the night. When your partner gets a good night’s sleep, he or she will be in a better mood throughout the day and this will influence your relationship positively.
The tips that we have given you are easy to follow and they are things that will benefit both you and your partner or anyone else by improving the quality and quantity of sleep. These actions are simple lifestyle changes that are sure to bring a huge and positive change to how you sleep at night and how you feel when you wake in the morning. They will also help to improve your overall health.